A 1979 GMC step van was purchased in 1981 and fitted with shelving to carry supplemental equipment. This was known as Squad 2-10.
This is the station and apparatus after the squad was placed in service – not 1975 as mentioned in the caption.
The fire company purchased it first new engine since 1959 in 1986 to replace the 1954 Seagrave.
A Pierce Lance pumper/tanker was placed into service in 1987 with the housing taking place May 17, 1987. The featured speaker of the day was Lancaster County Comissioner Huber.
Other speakers included President Robert Shreiner, Fire Chief Claude Young, Sr., Zone 2 Firemen’s Association President James Reed, and Dave Glick from Pierce Manufacturing. Assistant Fire Chief Claude Young, Jr. served as Master of Ceremonies, and Chaplin Jerry Cook gave the Benediction.
The engine was dedicated to the members of the Ladies Auxiliary, past and present, for all they contributed to the fire company. Pictured from left to right are: President Juanita Kissinger, Treasurer Dottie Zimmerman, Secretary Deb Shreiner, and Vice President Kathryn Musser. The ladies present a $5,000 check to the fire company that day. This was just one of many through the years for the support of various projects.
At the end of the ceremony, fire company members and guests helped push the new engine into the hall.
Claude Young, Sr. retired as fire chief in 1988 and Claude “Sam” Young, Jr. was elected to the office. Claude Sr. was given the honorary position of Chief Emeritus at the February 1989 fire company meeting by President Robert Shreiner.
The new chief also appointed him as the first Fire Prevention Officer for the fire company. (You can read about our Fire Prevention activity by clicking on Fire Prevention under Departments to the left).